Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Bulgarian Food

Today I'm going to share with you one of my favorite Bulgarian foods banitsa. Banitsa is a delicious baked pastry dish made of rolled filo pastry, commonly assembled in a spiral formation, with a cheese, egg, and yogurt-based filling. The dish is an important symbol of Bulgarian cuisine and tradition and is always prepared on Christmas and New Year’s Eve. Often, lucky charms, similar to fortune cookies, are put into the dish before baking, which symbolizes good health and long life to those who find them.

Here's the ingredients: 4 large eggs, 2 cups (450 grams) Bulgarian yogurt or other thick yogurt such as Greek, 12 ounces (340 grams) Feta cheese, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1 pound (450 grams) phyllo sheets thawed, 3/4 cup (170 grams) unsalted butter melted (can be substituted with vegetable oil).

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 375˚F (190˚C). Grease a 12-inch (30.5 centimeter) baking pan or springform pan with butter.

2. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and yogurt until smooth.

3. Crumble in the Feta cheese, followed by the baking soda and whisk together.

4. Unroll the thawed phyllo sheets and cover with a towel. Place one sheet on work surface and gently brush with melted butter.

5. Add the cheese yogurt mixture in a thin line across the long side nearest you or gently brush across the buttered sheet.

6. Tightly roll up the phyllo sheet to the other long side. Place seam side down around the edge of the buttered baking dish.

7. Repeat with the remaining phyllo sheets, continuing to wrap them around the pan towards the center in a coiled pattern.

8. Brush the top of the Banitsa with butter.

9. Bake in the preheated oven until the top is golden brown, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

10. Cover the dish with a towel and allow to cool 10-20 minutes at room temperature before serving.

                                                             Here's what it should look like


6 comments:

  1. Food was not able to make an appearance on your Bulgaria slideshow presentation, I'm glad you showcased banitsa here ^_^

    This symbol of Bulgarian food looks delicious, thank you for sharing its recipe including the lucky charm!

    I think I'll try making banitsa one day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious, interesting that it's seen as a lucky symbol. Thank you for sharing the recipe I might have to try it out sometime it looks appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eggs, butter and cheese literally spell out deliciousness! I'm a terrible baker but I will for sure call in the cavalry to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got me at 'delicious pastry'. I love me some pastries especially made with filo. You can just about put anything in it or just butter and I will be satisfied. One day I will try Banitsa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But I am lazy for making food. Better if I can buy the Bulgarian signature in Las Vegas. I wish I could try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks amazing! Would you agree that it's pretty similar to a cheese danish? :D

    ReplyDelete